I seek to help libraries improve the technology services they provide to their communities.
- Edge Initiative benchmark webinar series and blogging for TechSoup for Libraries
- Edge Initiative benchmark subject matter expert for the Public Library Association course development
- Instructor for Edge Initiative course: Assessing Your Community Needs — 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Instructor for Elements of Technology Management — an online 6-week Certified Public Library Administrator (CPLA) course offered by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Instructor for LI815 Information Technology for Emporia State University’s School of Library and Information Management, 2014-present
Learning Outcomes – By the end of the course, students are able to:
- Identify and evaluate resources and tools for existing and emerging technologies within information environments.
- Evaluate vendor proposals, determine best fit across different information environments, and make recommendations for technology solutions.
- Discuss potential access issues for diverse populations, and recommend technology solutions to provide equal access.
Assess personal technology skills and develop a plan for continuous self-directed technology learning.
- Discuss technology instructional roles of information organizations serving communities and describe appropriate training methods available to support end – user needs.
- Select and plan the implementation of technology solutions that consider all end – users.
- Identify policy frameworks surrounding technology use within information environments and examine how these may best support the promotion of democratic principles and intellectual freedom.
- Presenting Online: How do you Engage a Virtual Audience? Presentation for ASCLA Consultant Networking Luncheon at ALA Midwinter 2014
- Delivering Training Online, an online session for Ben Franklin Library, Embassy of the United States México. November 2012
- Let’s Play De-Tech-Tive, a 2-hour session for the Basehor Community Library (KS) staff in-service day (August 2012)
- Accidental Technology Trainer pre-conference delivered with Stephanie Gerding at Internet Librarian 2008
User Centered Digital Information
- Instructor for LI819 Advanced Retrieval and Information Repackaging for Emporia State University’s School of Library and Information Management
- Authority, Legitimacy, and Liability in a Wiki World Invited presentation at OLA/WLA 2008
- Librarian’s Guide to Wikipedia – a CyberTour at Internet Librarian 2009
- 23 Things Online Summit (planner and facilitator)
- Wikipedia: The Inside Story Invited presentation for David Silver’s digital media production class at Univ of San Francisco
Relevant work experience: